Home Arts/Culture Mas Dominik 2024 hails a “success”

Mas Dominik 2024 hails a “success”

0
368
Carnival Monday
Carnival Monday in Dominica 2024

ROSEAU, Dominica, (February 19, 2024) – Dominica’s Carnival, Mas Domnik 2024, concluded with overwhelming success and vibrant celebrations that encapsulated the spirit of the island’s unique culture. The event saw approximately four thousand six hundred thirty-five (4635) visitors, marking a 12% increase from the previous year and generating substantial economic benefits for the island.

“Mas Domnik 2024 has exceeded our expectations in terms of participation, organization, and overall impact. This year, we witnessed a significant surge in visitor numbers, with the total attendance reaching four thousand six hundred thirty-five (4635)—a 12% increase compared to 2023. The majority of these visitors, amounting to 58% or 2679, arrived by ferry, while the remaining 42% or 1956 traveled by air,” stated Chekira Lockhart-Hypolite, Acting Minister of Tourism. Additionally, we introduced two new elements to our celebration – the stadium field crossing as part of the opening parade, and the online voting for the People’s Choice Top Contemporary Costume Band Award. Both additions were proven successful, and we look forward to enhancing them further next year.

“The Government of Dominica has demonstrated its unwavering commitment to Mas Domnik 2024, the Real Mas, having invested 1 million dollars towards the event. Our government’s involvement in Mas Domnik 2024 showcases our dedication to preserving and promoting Dominica’s cultural heritage and boosting the local economy,” said Chekira Lockhart-Hypolite, Acting Minister of Tourism. Mas Domnik 2024 was a colorful spectacle of tradition and creativity. This year, the carnival experience kicked off with the opening parade, which had a new feature: the stadium field crossing. This addition brought an extra layer of excitement to the festivities. The opening parade was followed by numerous village carnivals, captivating competitions, and exciting events and culminated in grand street parades and jump-ups filled with revelers adorned in radiant costumes and color. The pulsating rhythms of bouyon music and calypso, the heart of Dominica’s carnival reverberated throughout the festivities, setting the tone for a truly Dominican experience. Another new addition to this year’s Carnival was the People’s Choice Award for Top Contemporary Costume Band.

This innovative category allowed the voice of the people to be heard, adding a democratic dimension to the celebrations. It celebrated the innovative spirit and creative flair of modern costume design with enthusiasts.

Discover Dominica Authority extends its heartfelt thanks to everyone who contributed to the success of Mas Domnik 2024 – the tireless organizers, the talented performers, the generous sponsors, and, most importantly, the enthusiastic carnival-goers and event enthusiasts who brought all the events to life with their energy and passion. Looking ahead, preparations are underway for Mas Domnik 2025, slated for March 3rd and 4th, 2025. Discover Dominica Authority aims to build on the success of this year’s carnival experience and continue to showcase Dominica’s rich cultural heritage on a global stage