Today, we gather as a community to commemorate the International Day of Non-Violence, a day that reminds us of the profound importance of peace and unity in our society. As the President of the National Youth Council, I am deeply honoured to address you on this significant occasion.
In recent times, our nation has witnessed several distressing incidents of violence that have shaken us to our core. Acts of violence, especially among our youth, have caused immense pain and suffering for individuals, families, and communities. We cannot turn a blind eye to the detrimental impact this violence has on our society, hindering our progress and unity.
On this International Day of Non-Violence, we must reflect upon the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi, a pioneer of non-violence and peace. He once said, “You must be the change you want to see in the world.” These words resonate with us, the youth, as the leaders and custodians of our nation. Let us commit ourselves to being the change agents who will work tirelessly to replace acts of violence with acts of kindness, understanding, and
empathy. Our unity and collective efforts can pave the way for a peaceful and harmonious society.
To achieve this, we call upon all our fellow youth to:
● Promote dialogue and understanding: Let us engage in open and respectful conversations with our peers, bridging the divides that may exist among us.
● Seek peaceful resolutions: In times of conflict, let us prioritise peaceful negotiation and problem-solving over aggression.
● Support victims of violence: Extend your empathy and support to those affected by violence, showing them that they are not alone.
● Promote community-building activities: Let us work together on projects and initiatives that bring our communities closer and foster a sense of belonging.
● Be role models: As young leaders, our actions and behaviour influence others. Let us lead by example,
demonstrating the power of non-violence in our daily lives.
As we commemorate this International Day of Non-Violence, let it serve as a reminder that we have the power
to shape the destiny of our nation. Together, we can build a society where peace reigns, and violence becomes a
relic of the past. Thank you for your unwavering commitment to a peaceful and harmonious Dominica.